[AZ-Observing] Re: Tracking Options

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:29:41 -0700

What Stan mentions and having to 'train' the Dob Driver for direction of
tracking are its two big disadvantages.  The most obvious disadvantage of a
platform is that it raises the eyepiece another half foot off the ground.
Another one is that it's very difficult to find out which way is north.  If
you want to record position angles in your notes, you're stuck with
reaching for a power switch and letting the object drift to the west.  A
true equatorial mount doesn't have this problem, but they're so heavy and
large.  Another form of tracking now common at large, permanent
installations is dual-axis drives couipled to encoders on an alt-az mount.
Commercial SCT's and the Singmaster Dobs do this well, but I wouldn't
recommend it as an add-on to a Dob.  Those who witnessed the many failures
of this type of system on my 20-inch don't want to get me started on this
subject.

Tom

At 10:02 AM 7/13/02 EDT, Stan wrote:

>However, I found that there
>was something missing in my observing with it... that is, the experience of
>manipulating the tube by hand. I can't articulate it very well, but I can
>enjoy looking for and find things so much easier by grabbing and moving the
>scope vs. motoring around by buttons....

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ
Arizona Sky Pages