[AZ-Observing] Re: Tracking Options

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:07:18 -0700

That's the key, having two (or more) scopes. If you only have one, you
shouldn't blame it for the things it can't do. My ultralight can't see to
16th mag and my big scope doesn't like backpacking.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Co-coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I actually seem to have the best of both worlds.  I kept my 16-inch, F/5
Dob, and acquired one of the new Celestron NexStar GPS SCT's.  Now if I just
want to star hop and 'tour' a particular part of the sky, then the 16-inch
DOB is the scope of choice.  If I just want to go look at a list of objects
then the NexStar is the way to go - No polar alignment needed (It does it on
its own when it acquires the GPS satellites when it is turned on), and will
put the object in the center third of the eyepiece FOV.  The NexStar is
alt-az mounted but mimics an equitorial for visual work as it tracks the
object very nicely (ignoring the image rotational problem).  I also have the
equitorial wedge, so if I decide to do some photography in the future, I can
actually do it since the wedge takes care of the rotational problem.

I thought about the equitorial platform for the 16-inch DOB, but as
previously noted in this thread, it has a whole set of problems of its own,
so opted for a seperate 'GoTo' telescope for those times when I need visual
tracking and quick object capture.

....my $0.02 worth.

/Bob

messages.  Thanks.