[AZ-Observing] Re: Total Eclipse

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:11:30 -0700

Tom's comment about the "maximum earthshine" recalled a question I've asked
several local amateurs, and even sent to S&T (no answer), so maybe I'll just
post it here and see what you all think.  The answers I've received so far
are not unanimous.

The idea is:  here in AZ (compared to the east cost) we get better
earthshine because the Sun is reflecting off the Pacific Ocean.  You can
even see the reflection of the Sun in some photos taken from orbit.  I've
seen it when flying to Hawaii.  On the east coast, the Sun has to reflect of
the North American land mass, which it does, but more feebly.  I've seen
some great earthshine here in AZ, compared to what I recall from my old digs
in the Midwest.

Atmospheric variations notwithstanding, and all things being equal, should
we see noticeably brighter earthshine here?  Makes sense to me.  It would be
interesting to get a photometric comparison through clear skies from each
coast.

Dan Heim
President
Desert Foothills Astronomy Club