[AZ-Observing] Theta Orionis eclipse tonight

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:28:28 -0700

While it is certainly nice to stay cozy and warm inside these cold
nights, if you dress properly you will be treated to some great views
of the night sky outside.

Gene Lucas and I will be making BVRI CCD observations of theta
Orionis throughout the night. I have been doing some baseline work
during the week. It has been chilly. Last night was in the 20's.
Hopefully it will be a bit warmer tonight. Mid-eclipse is about 17
minutes after midnight, but we hope to get as much data on either
side as we can. Perhaps in 65 days we can try again and will have
more time with Orion above the observatory wall.

Earlier this week I set up my 13.1" DOB in my driveway and let the
neighbor kids view the Moon. The cold clear air made a fantastic view.

I got a note from a fellow photometrist in MN who was out two nights
ago doing BVRI single channel work on epsilon Aurigae. It was 8
degrees. And I thought in the 20's was cold. He said it there was no
blowing snow, however. so it was a good session.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT