[AZ-Observing] Theta Orionis eclipse

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 08:15:24 -0700

The eclipse of theta A Orionis went as scheduled late Friday/early
Saturday. Gene Lucas and I spent some 5 hours braving the cold in
shifts to get around 300 BVRI images of theta Orionis.

It will be several days before the data is reduced, but for those
interested an out-of-eclipse and in-eclipse image taken with a V
filter can be seen at:

http://www.hposoft.com/Astro/TOE.JPG

The images were 0.5 second exposures through a V photometric filter
using a 12" LX200 GPS and modified DSI Pro CCD camera with Meade
AutoStar software.

Both theta A and B can be seen in eclipse. Theta B eclipses around
every 5 days where theta A eclipse around 65 days. For comparison
look at theta D before and during eclipse and compare to theta A.
Out-of-eclipse theta A and D are both around 6.7 magnitude.

If any one else observed this I would be interested in hearing from
them and if they have data, see the data. Gene and I plan to attempt
the next eclipse in February in hopes of getting a more complete set
of light curves. If anyone would like to learn more about CCD
photometry and give us a hand, it could prove beneficial to all.
Doing all night photometry in revolving shifts makes work much easier.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT