[AZ-Observing] Sun in H-Alpha

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:55:43 +0000

At the end of my talk on the Sun at SAC earlier this month, I showed a
couple images of the Sun taken by a gentleman in France Named Phil Rouselle.
  He uses a hand built spectrohelioscope-a device that allows a view of the
Sun in selected wavelengths.  H-Alpha, Calcium J and K band as well as
Sodium and others.  He's been on vacation for a while, but returned today to
take the image in H-Alpha I've linked here.

http://www.astrosurf.com/spectrohelio/AR2004/details/color-0720.jpg

It's simply amazing the detail that can be seen in such images.  Surfing
around his site you can find many other images in various bands with similar
stunning results.  Happy surfing!

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman