[AZ-Observing] Re: Sun Spot

  • From: Russell Chmela~ <rchmela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:48:42 -0700

Jeff wrote:
---------------------------
I've noticed the same phenomena while viewing prominences with my 40 mm
hydrogen alpha filter. At first only the most intense flares are visible, but
the
longer I observe, the more detail becomes apparent and smaller and fainter
features become visible. I don't believe it's seeing. It seems to be a
function of
time. The longer you observe, the more detail you get. Probably psychological
as the mind begins to ignore the overall view and search for aberrations in
the field.
--------------------------

  When observing H alpha view, I notice this also, in fact it gets very good
usually after 45 minutes to an hour are spent. Some of this is due to having
to dark adapt in the daylight environment. Another factor is that the filters
tend to work better as they warm and also finding the "best spot" of the
filtered image and working the tilt, if yours has such an adjustment. As you
say, its a matter of getting familiar with the image and then looking for all
the additional things. At the longer observing sessions, it is possible to
see the development of the eruptive prominences and see changes over 10 minute
intervals. To get more contrast, do try a dark towel hood.

 Some of the oddities I have seen in daytime solar viewing have been viewing
a big mylar balloon, one of those enormous research ones with a instrument cage
hung from it passing by the sun (sketch time!), as well as most of the airplane
roster from B2's to those fellows with a parafoil and a fan strapped to them.
Bundles of small balloons from parties and open houses drift by a lot.
During a windy summer day, was seeing litter at very high altitudes, items
like sheets of the Az. Republic, and styro cups quite a long way up. Another
common one is a buzzard/condor/vulture whatever you call them, just circling
over the solar disk, its 10' wings doing very little work.

 RC