[AZ-Observing] Re: Sun Spot

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:01:51 +0000

Russ wrote:

>  Some of the oddities I have seen in daytime solar viewing have been
>viewing
>a big mylar balloon, one of those enormous research ones with a instrument
>cage
>hung from it passing by the sun (sketch time!), as well as most of the
>airplane
>roster from B2's to those fellows with a parafoil and a fan strapped to
>them.
>Bundles of small balloons from parties and open houses drift by a lot.
>During a windy summer day, was seeing litter at very high altitudes, items
>like sheets of the Az. Republic, and styro cups quite a long way up.
>Another
>common one is a buzzard/condor/vulture whatever you call them, just
>circling
>over the solar disk, its 10' wings doing very little work.

Exactly right, Russ.  And speaking of prominences, I got some fairly good
video of the huge ones on the Sun today.  It seems nearly the entire north
pole is afflicted!  :-)

Good to see that others see weird things while observing the Sun, not just
me.  The very first time I pointed my camera in the loaner H-Alpha scope I
have, (thanks, Tom), an airplane flew right through the frame.  And here I
thought it was rare!  The science baloon reminds me of the second year we
were at the GCSP.  Bernie, Rosie, Chris and Dawn Schurr and I were standing
around one morning when someone spotted a high altitude ballon.  we all just
gaped and guessed at what it might be at first.  So I said, "Hey!  Anyone
got a camera or telescope around here?"  well, it seemed funny at the
time...in that crowd...

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman