[AZ-Observing] Re: Sky Darkness at Lowell Star Party

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:55:21 -0700 (MST)

     From my one visit to the All-Arizona site, and knowing what it
must be like at 5MM, the Lowell Star Party site, which is not far from
the USNO-Flagstaff hill, would be comparable to a nice night at the
All-AZ ranch site, but not as dark as 5MM.  The sky quality in terms
of contrastiness of the Milky Way etc will depend a lot on the amount
of local low-level aerosols.  If it's dry and clear (which is roughly
the weather forecast), then it'll be pretty nice but not perfect.
I can also predict with some confidence that it will be noticeably
darker after midnight due to the reduction in traffic in town.

\Brian