[AZ-Observing] Re: Shuttle and Station at 50x

  • From: Torsten Clay <tclay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:06:30 -0700 (MST)

Well, ham radio operators often use a computer-controlled alt-az setup to
keep antennas aimed at low-earth satellites. I think the position can
easily be predicted pretty accurately if the exact location (from GPS) and
time (from WWV) are available.  However, for antenna aiming, accuracy of
something like ~10 deg minimum is all that is typically required due to
the much larger beamwidth of radio antennas.

Maybe interfacing one of these programs to a LX200 or other goto mount
might not be too hard?  Probably to really get a lock at high power
something like a ccd autoguider would be needed in addition.

Torsten Clay

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Kevin Bays wrote:

> Wow.  There has got to be a better way to track a satellite.  It seems that
> somebody, using the right equipment, could pre-program a scope to follow
> where the object would be if known ahead of time.  In fact it seems like a
> person could use a VERY high power if the trajectory were predicted
> accurately and the telescope rigged electronically to move with it at just
> the right moment.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this?

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.