[AZ-Observing] Shuttle and Station at 50x

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:38:31 -0700

A deep-sky observer describes Earth satellites:

Just watched the nearly overhead passage of the Space Shuttle followed by
the International Space Station several minutes later.  I used a 10-inch
Dobsonian scope, and manually followed them at 50x.  As they are moving
nearly a degree per second at their closest, I wasn't daring enough to try
higher magnifications.

The Shuttle was first.  I was hoping to see the Delta shape, but it must
have been presenting itself in another orientation.  It mainly appeared as
a bright, white 2:1 oval with the minor axis in the direction of flight.
When it was near its highest point, the shape flattened out somewhat before
resuming a similar oval form.  Naked eye, I estimated its magnitude at
-2.0, or somewhat brighter than Mars.

The ISS contrasted nicely with the Shuttle.  As it emerged in the
northwest, it was a deep orange.  Even when it had only reached 30 degrees
altitude, I could resolve two symmetrical nodules around an elongated
center, this time with the major axis in the direction of flight.  The main
body was just off-white tending toward yellow and the two nodules,
apparently solar panels, were a striking orange.  The size grew to a
maximum of about a half arcminute, and when it was at its high point, the
solar panels were the least apparent.  They appeared again as it moved to
the southwest.  The ISS then disappeared into the Earth's shadow about 20
degrees above the horizon, at the same point as the Shuttle did minutes
earlier.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis