[AZ-Observing] Re: Seeing Conditions During Monsoon

  • From: "Derrick Lim" <antaresv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:46:28 -0700

Hello AJ!
That's a very interesting study. The results say that the turbulence cells
dictate the local seeing conditions. Therefore something I neglected in the
list is the size of the turbulence cells, how would they distribute over the
Phoenix area, or perhaps more generally, what affects the size of these
turbulence cells? Can anyone please help explain this?  Does this have
anything to do with cooler air in the upper atmosphere "shearing" off layers
of warmer air in the lower atmosphere? (or am I way off the track here?) If
so, perhaps wind speed would be a factor in determining the cell size, then
maybe there's a threshold wind speed in the upper atmosphere that can be one
gauge of seeing conditions.

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here... :)

Derrick