[AZ-Observing] Re: Seeing Conditions During Monsoon

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:11:58 -0700

Something similar to what Derrick suggests was done on the evening of July
2, 1989.  Six observers, myself and Steve Coe included, lined up at the same
site to watch Saturn occult the star 28 Sagittarii.  We watched this event
for about one hour and each described the view - out loud for all to hear.
We were set up in a line about 15' to 20' apart.  One of the important
reports turned out that the seeing effects came and went independent of
telescope observer.  That is, while one observer reported seeing so bad
Cassini's Division wasn't visible.  At the same instant another observer saw
the rings crystal clear.

What we decided was that the cells of warmer air, causing the turbulence,
were much smaller than realized.  Perhaps as small as a foot.

Clear skies,
aj