[AZ-Observing] Re: Seeing Conditions During Monsoon

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:50:30 -0700

As a double star observer for 20 years, I can tell you that the best seeing
for splitting tight pairs is a night with appreciable humidity.  In fact,
nights with a little haze are often MUCH better in the seeing department
than 10 out of 10 skies.  I don't know why, but I think the moisture DOES
have a steadying effect on the air.  Not all the time, but all of my best
splits have occurred under humid skies.  I observed from suburban Kansas
City, but noticed the same effect at dark sites too.

Dick H.