[AZ-Observing] Re: Satellite Identification

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:48:34 -0700

Thanks, Bill. Gene in a private message suggested he might be confusing
Jupiter with a man made satellite. I had not thought of this since I had
assumed the individual knows the difference between a satellite and a
planet. Maybe not. His description certainly fits Jupiter: very bright,
rises each evening around 7:30-8pm (the time which might vary if the
person is observing as it clears buildings, not the horizon), and moves
slowly from east to west. I looked at the sites you suggested and,
certainly, it could not be an ISS because of the erratic times it rises.

I think the question is answered. Thank you Bill and Gene (and Rick. I
just saw your message before clicking on the send button).
Stan