[AZ-Observing] Re: RTMC this Year

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:37:08 -0700

Hi Dean,

On 5/26/2012 11:11 PM, Ketelsen, Dean A - (ketelsen) wrote:
> But Saturday picked up considerably - the swap meet was pretty well attended,
> as were most of the talks through the day.  I gave one on the Mirror Lab and
> had a good crowd and questions.  And the prize drawings and tonight's mail
> lecture were packed.  Yep, the meal plan seems to be pretty much the same
> food as the snack bar, but at least this way, I'm not paying for meals I'm
> not eating like in the past when we slept in a bit or met friends for dinner
> in town.

These sound like rare occurrences, but maybe you didn't need to buy meal
tickets at the time of registration. I saw attendees in the past pay $5
for a meal in lieu of a ticket, but it depends on availability of food,
I think.

> Temps were frigid tonight and we headed back to Motel6 after the lecture.
> There were 9 telescope entries and 7 awards given (I recall there were only 6
> entries last year).  I figured I'd keep going till I couldn't sit around and
> talk telescopes with optics wizard Gerry Logan, only to find out he left at
> noon today with family matters.

Do you also know that Bob Pfaff is also somewhat of a telescope and
optics maker wizard? Over the years he has had entries with primary
mirrors and meniscuses he ground himself  He had one this year also, a
schmidt newtonian. He did his own optics. He is always with Gerry, but
is usually pretty quiet and so one might not notice him. Both are
outstanding.
Stan