[AZ-Observing] Re: RTMC this Year

  • From: "Ketelsen, Dean A - (ketelsen)" <ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 06:11:58 +0000

Hi Stan-
Melinda and I didn't head towards California till mid-morning Friday and pulled
into Camp Oakes about 6pm.  you were right - it was a ghost town compared to
years ago.  I remember 200 people in line just to get into the Celestron
enclosure, waiting for the 1pm sales to start.  The telescope field was
deserted with maybe 4 vendors and not too many more customers.

But Saturday picked up considerably - the swap meet was pretty well attended,
as were most of the talks through the day.  I gave one on the Mirror Lab and
had a good crowd and questions.  And the prize drawings and tonight's mail
lecture were packed.  Yep, the meal plan seems to be pretty much the same food
as the snack bar, but at least this way, I'm not paying for meals I'm not
eating like in the past when we slept in a bit or met friends for dinner in
town.  Temps were frigid tonight and we headed back to Motel6 after the
lecture.  There were 9 telescope entries and 7 awards given (I recall there
were only 6 entries last year).  I figured I'd keep going till I couldn't sit
around and talk telescopes with optics wizard Gerry Logan, only to find out he
left at noon today with family matters.  Mike Brown, the keynote speaker for
Sunday night also cancelled with family issues...  Why aren't people attending?
 Best to ask the people out reading this that aren't here this weekend!

-Dean