[AZ-Observing] Re: Poor Quadrantids showing

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:40:12 -0500

Steve,

The International Meteor Organization's  'quicklook' data plot shows the peak
occurring roughly on schedule at around midnight our time.

http://www.imo.net/live/quadrantids2012/

While the Quadrantids do have a sharp peak, the rate is still typically hanging
on at half of the maximum four hours later, when you were looking.  The problem
with your observed low total may have been that the radiant's altitude was
still pretty low.  Multiplying the zenith rate by the sine of the radiant's
altitude to get your rate.  Then after you factor in your limiting magnitude
and obstructions, you're quickly down to a dozen per hour or so.

Your total Quadrantid count of three is three higher than mine.  I have never
seen good circumstances for Arizona to warrant to trip out of the city.  It's a
very narrow window.  We want them to peak at 6 a.m. MST, when Bootes is high
and before twilight, but I can't remember that ever happening.

Tom