[AZ-Observing] Re: Poor Quadrantids showing

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:56:30 -0700

I specifically observed the Quandrantids decades ago and found it to be a
unique shower.  The trails were typically the longest I've ever seen.  The
radiant being where it is gave big 1st and 2nd magnitude meteors that went in
long streaks north to south over most of the sky as I recall.  I also recall
that the action was narrowly centered on the peak time.  This could have been a
one-off characterization because I never specifically paid attention to this
one again.  I was pretty amazed when NASA hyped this shower on the national
news.
Videmus Stellae!

Paul Knauth