[AZ-Observing] Re: Percent of Possible Sunshine (or maybe not)

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:14:05 -0700

><name withheld> (Matt who else)
>>
>>  So what's a star-hugger to do? Seek councilling, dream of pristine =
>>  nights
>>  past, make telescopes (of course) and maybe buy a Planetarium:
>>
>>  http://antiqueradio.org/art/spitz01.jpg
>>
>>  <name withheld>

For all those bemoaning the Arizona weather, believe me most of the
rest of the country on the average is much worse. I lived in
Syracuse, NY for two years before coming to Arizona. I joined the
Syracuse Astronomical Society. I do not remember even one star party
during those two years. Meetings discussed telescope making and
pictures taken elsewhere and dreams of clear nights.

Being retired has a great advantage as I can observe any time during
the week, not just weekends. Plus having two backyard observatories
makes it perfect. Arizona is one of the best places in the country if
not the world for astronomy. That's why there are more professional
observatories in Arizona than any other place.

Have faith. The weather will improve. Now is the time to fine tune
your equipment read up on things you have been putting off and make
plans for when your next clear night observing rolls around.

BTW, Sunday night around 7:30 PM the clouds passed over Phoenix and
what was left was a great night of observing. There were still some
clouds around, but I got a couple of grand hours of observing in.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************