[AZ-Observing] Re: Percent of Possible Sunshine (or maybe not)

  • From: "Matt Luttinen" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:11:40 -0700

You really don't want to get into the statistics of observing weather. I =
did
it last year after looking at Brian Skiff's historical photometric =
evening
data. It was sobering, and more than a bit depressing. So, in the spirit =
of
the recent weather posts, here goes:

All numbers are rounded up.

If I remember correctly, something less than 120 nights per year are =
truly
clear. Call that a 33% or 1/3 probability. Now, if you can only go out =
on
weekends, that gives a ~29% or 2/7 nights available in any week. Now =
factor
in new moon weekends . . . let's be generous and say every month has two
observing weekends (a stretch). So that's 50% or 1/2 the available =
weekends.

So we have .33 x .29 x .5 =3D .047, a little less than 5%

That's for the whole year, so .047 x 365 =3D ~17 nights on average of
photometric nights falling on a "new moon" weekend per year, or 8 =
weekends.

If you factor in whether the clear nights are consecutive (all factors =
in
this excerise are constrictive), the odds would take another hit, albeit =
small one. But I won't go there. This is enough of a bummer.

17 nights would be OK if everyone always went out for both nights, but =
that
is not possible for most people. So, divide by two again and we have ~8
nights.

And of course I can't/won't factor in life/family/job etc . . .

<insert happy face emoticon here>

In 2004 I made it out about five times. Due to my personal =
circumstances,
this year I probably won't be out at all until the fall (hopefully).

So what's a star-hugger to do? Seek councilling, dream of pristine =
nights
past, make telescopes (of course) and maybe buy a Planetarium:

http://antiqueradio.org/art/spitz01.jpg

<name withheld>

Tom uttered:
=20