[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing the weekend of Jan 2-5, 2003

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <FJKraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:02:41 -0700

> > - Would you happen to know the minimum aperture required to see this ?
>
> I've no idea...anyone else who can report on this?  Also anyone else who's
> seen this?  I know there's plenty of you out there....
>
> I do have to give credit to really steady skies.  (That or I'm seeing
> things.)  Neither time did I hold the division constantly, but it kind of
> came and went with the very subtle changes of seeing.

I've seen the Encke Division a few times through my 10-inch under good
seeing conditions allowing magnifications in excess of 560x, and the Minima
easily apparent at 400x.  I've also observed the division through an 8-inch
Ceravolo Mak-Newt.  On top of good seeing conditions, well aligned and
excellent figured optics help distinguish detail in all objects under high
power.

-FRANK