[AZ-Observing] Re: Observation Report from Friday Night, July 20

  • From: "bobe at ngcic.org" <bobe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:49:02 -0700

Hi Chris,

I poked around in Dr. Harold Corwin's NGC precise positions list (
http://www.ngcic.org ) and came up with the following:

NGC 6857               19 59 52.5    +33 23 09     HCds   DN (called PN in
some lists).

The RA & DEC, in this case is Equinox B1950.0, and not J2000.  Apparently,
it is some type of difuse nebula.  Digging a little deeper, using Wolfgang
Steinicke's database (being melded into the NGC/IC Project's database)
yields:

Desig             Const           RA             DEC      Mag   Size
Type                        Designations
Comments
NGC 6857    CYG      20 01 48.0 +33 31 30   11.4   0.63           EN
PK 70+1.2       Sh2-100                         not a PN

These coordinates are Equinox J2000.  It indeed does have a PK designation,
but it also has a Sharpless designation as well (Sh2-100), and Wolfgang
explicitly claims that it is not a planetary nebula, but an emission nebula.
This is probably one of several objects which started out with a PK
designation and later found to be something other than a planetary nebula.

Hope this helps

/Bob

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has
endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us
to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
Bob Erdmann - Core Team Member & Webmaster
The NGC/IC Project - http://www.ngcic.org
e-mail: bobe@xxxxxxxxx