[AZ-Observing] Re: Observation Report from Friday Night, July 20

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:50:02 -0700

At 11:23 AM 7/22/01 -0700, Chris Adamson wrote:

>One question from this session that maybe Tom or someone can answer.  Night
>Sky Observers Guide (and my observational guess, see below) show NGC6857 as
>an Emission Nebula that looks like a planetary.  Both the Sky, the Lorenzin
>DB and the EVAC 200 list call it a planetary.  What is it?

NGC 6857 is an emission nebula that looks like a planetary nebula.  You can
read all about by filling in Astrophysical Journal volume 157, page L41 on
the form at:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/article_service.html

This is a 1969 paper.  The abstract, first, and last paragraphs should be
enough to get the idea.

My notes call it a faint, round disc, with a diffuse edge surrounding a
central star, which sure reads like a description for a planetary nebula.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis
Tempe, AZ