[AZ-Observing] Re: No. AZ Observing Sites & Forest Closures

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:21:57 -0700

AJ -

Although "overnight camping" is not allowed in the parking lot itself, the
nearby surrounding area (that is not in Wupatki National Monument) is all
in the Coconino National Forest and is open (even now with all the fire
restrictions) to camping.  E.g. a mile or two before you reach the parking
lot, there is a FS dirt road off to the right where one could pull in and
camp.  The horizon's of course slightly better at the parking lot, but
since this area is all Pinyon, the horizon is not really that bad anywhere
unless you want to look relatively close to the horizon.

There is also a developed campsite (Bonito Campground) about 15? miles
away on this same loop road, by Sunset Crater.  See
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/volcanic/bonito_camp.html for info.  The
Cinder Hills Overlook nearby (at about 8000') in the Sunset Crater
monument is also an adequate observing site although not as dark as around
Wupatki.  The Crater rises high in the southwest, but this blocks most of
what light there is here from Flagstaff.

A map of this whole area is available as
http://www.nps.gov/wupa/ppmaps/wupamap.pdf

By the way, I've also been told by a ranger at Wupatki that sites there
could be used for overnight observing and camping (and there are several
very good such sites), but only after requesting and receiving a special
use permit.  They don't really have any objection to a few people staying
overnight to observe, but they're of course very concerned about pot
hunters, etc. stealing stuff at night.

- Brent

----- Forwarded by Brent A Archinal/GD/USGS/DOI on 06/01/2002 01:02 PM
-----

AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/31/2002 06:26 PM
Please respond to az-observing

        To:     az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        [AZ-Observing] Re: No. AZ Observing Sites & Forest
Closures

Bill, guess that shoots a two nighter down for that site.  Coming from
Phoenix, a
trip that far is a bit much for an overnighter - unless it was for
something
special.

Thanks,
aj

BillFerris@xxxxxxx wrote:

> AJ Crayon wrote:
>
> > Bill, do people camp there for a couple of days or so?  I'm thinking
of say
> > Friday through Sunday.  Is this even allowed?
>
> Unfortunately, overnight camping isn't allowed at Doney Mtn picnic area.
> There was a couple from New Jersey who spent the night in their rented
RV
> following an observing session with some members of CAS. Apparently,
they
> weren't disturbed. I've never encountered any forest service staff
during the
> handful of times I've observed there.

messages.  Thanks.