[AZ-Observing] Re: No. AZ Observing Sites & Forest Closures

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:30:12 -0700

Not only the forest service but also the Natl Guard is enforcing the
closings now. I heard there is a unit at the Crown King crossing to prevent
going up to the helipad in the forest above the city where we usually go to
observe.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Co-coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AJ Crayon wrote:

> Bill, do people camp there for a couple of days or so?  I'm thinking of
say
> Friday through Sunday.  Is this even allowed?

Unfortunately, overnight camping isn't allowed at Doney Mtn picnic area.
There was a couple from New Jersey who spent the night in their rented RV
following an observing session with some members of CAS. Apparently, they
weren't disturbed. I've never encountered any forest service staff during
the
handful of times I've observed there.

messages.  Thanks.