[AZ-Observing] Re: No. AZ Observing Sites & Forest Closures

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:59:49 -0700

Bill, do people camp there for a couple of days or so?  I'm thinking of say
Friday through Sunday.  Is this even allowed?

Sounds like there are no hookups for potable water or electricity, amenities I
don't have use for while astro-camping.  Actually I bring everything needed -
and
take it out when leaving.

Also, how well used is the area by public during the day?  For example, supposed
one wanted to take an afternoon nap - while telescope and equipment was still
set
up.

Thanks and clear skies,
aj

BillFerris@xxxxxxx wrote:

> DIRECTIONS TO DONEY MTN. PICNIC AREA:
>
> 1) From the Flagstaff Mall (at US 89 and I 40) proceed on US 89 north (toward
> the Grand Canyon) 26.2 miles and turn right into Wupatki National Monument.
> After turning, a signboard on the right shows a map of the Monument.
>
> 2) Proceed 9.6 miles (well past the Lomaki ruins turn on the left and the
> Citadel pull-off on the right), and turn right, onto a very short road ending
> in the parking area. A small wooden sign on the left marks the turnoff, but
> is hard to see in the dark. You're there.
>
> NOTE: If you find yourself going down a steep curving hill (the Doney fault)
> you have gone too far and need to go back.
>
> GPS coordinates of the parking lot are N35d 31' 55.0" W111d 24' 16.0". This
> is about an hour's drive from Flagstaff. (When properly motivated ;o), I've
> made the trip in 45-minutes from my home near downtown Flag.)

messages.  Thanks.