[AZ-Observing] Moon

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:13:47 -0700

For all those lunar observers it's a wonderful night to observe our neighbor.

Schiller (the elongated crater in the southern hemisphere) is
exceptional tonight. The mountain rim of Sinus Iridum in the northern
hemisphere just out of the terminator is spectacular. Actually last
night was even better before cloud came by.

I find it delightful surprising each time I get a chance on a clear
night to observe the moon. While many seem to like the deep sky
objects better, I am a real fan of the moon. Even after untold years
of observing it I am still amazed at something new each time I look.
What many do not realize is the phase, time location create variances
that make each viewing unique.

Part of it is the way I have my 6" refractor set up. It is very
comfortable to look continuously at the eyepiece.

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT