[AZ-Observing] wildflower school star party dec 3rd

  • From: william e waltz <starman.wwaltz.pfs@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:22:40 -0700

welllll
smack me hard with a big stick for not reading my e-mail before going to
wildflower school tonight
i took my granddaughter (age 5) and not finding anybody there we set up
anyway
my 10 inch 4.5 reflector and my birthday present from my granddaughter
(and her grandma) a 50 mm meade refractor
i'll probably keep it just because it really seemed to spark a 5 year
olds interest in astronomy
i can probably also use in the future to guide my scope as well
we set up in the darker north west corner of the parking lot and started
observing about 6:20 or so
western horizon was murky and clouded out  and we weren't in time to
observe mercury or venus
as marty martian would say "earth blocks my view of venus"
we set up on the moon and several kids stopped by to check us out
i don't spend much time observing the moon and have no moon charts but
there was the most interesting feature along the terminator toward the
south
it looked like a curved thread protruding into the dark from the
terminator
i think it was the reflection of light from the ridge of montes pyronaeus
surrounding mare nectaris
it was a most striking view of the ring suspended in the dark around the
dark mare
we also observed mars, the pleiades, a few miscellaneous stars, the
double star alberio showing it's blue and gold beautifully
we stopped at macdonalds on the way home and had a great time
sorry we missed you
hope to see you soon
bill waltz