[AZ-Observing] May 20th Eclipse from Page, Az

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joan Mayer <joan_mayer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 07:36:33 -0700

Rosie and I set up 3 telescopes to view the eclipse at Wahweep View,
just outside Glen Canyon Recreational Area on Sunday.  We set up early
Sunday afternoon, showing a "pre-eclipse view" to several dozen visitors
 and astronomers.  We had an 8" LX200 SCT, ("Tina") with a Thousand Oaks
 Type II filter, our usual 6" F/4.5 yellow solar scope, ("Sunny"), and a
 60mm F/9.3 Vixen refractor with Baader film.  My sister Kay got a fast
lesson on running the refractor and did an excellent job with the
public.  I counted 156 views through the 8", with dozens more people
taking pictures through it with point and shoot cameras and cell
phones.  I was first to yell out "FIRST CONTACT!" as the fun began.
Overall, it was a great experience.  I'll be writing an article for the
SAC newsletter on the whole weekend.

On our way out of Page, stopped at a gas station, a gentleman comes up
to the truck and asks if we were set up on Wahweep View during the
eclipse.  I said yes and he showed me a telephoto shot on his camera
he'd taken from Lake Powell.  It was the setting Sun, still 70% covered
by the Moon, with about a dozen observers and visitors in silhouette.
Amazing photo!  He agreed to send it to me, and I'm seeking permission to
publish it in the newsletter.

Steve Dodder
Chairman, SAC Novice Group
Coordinator, Grand Canyon Star Party, North Rim
Director, Stone Haven Observatory

fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.stonehavenobservatory.com