[AZ-Observing] Re: Marathon: Early Report

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:33:31 -0700

IT was truly one of the more challenging marathons I've done. To start
things off on the wrong foot, my Telrad on Gert (the 8") broke, one of the
collimation screws broke off. Not sure how or when but that was quite a rude
surprise. It took me quite a while trying to find two decent alignment stars
while the cloud are creeping in on M74 & co. I thought I had finally gotten
a decent alignment on the Sky Commander but Nooooo. I punched up M42 just to
check the alignment and it was pointing me about 25 degrees off, somewhere
in Eridanus. Tried again, same result. Much silent cursing ensued. Finally
just shut the whole thing down and aligned the Meade ETX 60, which I used
exclusively for the rest of the night. Like Tom, 60mm was probably just not
enough aperture to pull in M74. M77 was tough, but it was there. The
Andromeda trio & M33 were well behind clouds at this point. Cassiopeia was
partially visible and I got M 52, but missed M 103. I later learned many
folks had just the opposite problem. I also finished off the high Dec
objects as that was were the cloud cover was heading. Next up was the
southern  winter objects. I was able pick off everything through Leo by
2100. By now the sky looked like the roof was closing at BOB (Sorry, just
can't call it Chase Field yet). I took the opportunity to sit and chat with
Steve Coe, Dave fredericksen & several other folks while we waited for
better conditions. An hour & a 1/2 later it looked like we would get a break
as things were breaking up. And there were again stars in the sky. I then
finished up the Virgo cluster & a few other eastern objects that had risen
in to Hercules. By 2300 it was nap time. Got up at 0130, changed batteries
in Polly (the ETX), realigned and got back to it. Easy pickens through
Scorpius with the teapot of Sagittarius just rising. Now it was wait for r
stuff to rise. This is were it got interesting. As tom Mentioned previously
you had to adapt your routine to the whims of the weather. More than once I
went to an object when the sky was clear there only to have it cloud up by
the time my eye made it to the eyepiece. Picked off a few objects as they
rose. Saw M6 with the hills in the eyepiece. Grabbed M 103 on the upswing
through a sucker hole. I got M73, and quickly slewed up to M72. Caught sight
of it just before it disappeared into the clouds for good. Just plain dumb
luck. When the Andromeda trio rose high enough, I was able to see M 31 &
M32, but M110 would elude me as we r were now in increasing twilight. I did
stop and look at the rising moon through the streaks of cloud  on the way to
M30, which was rather difficult. I finally called it after several taps on
the eyepiece showed the same slight brightening at the same spot with
averted vision three times.

My final tally was 107, missing M74, M110 & M33, which would not rise in the
am until after Sunrise.

Although 110 still eludes me, It was definately a fun  marathon. Te
challenge of seeing 107 in 60mm was definatley satisfying. But I think the
best part was the large turnout of folks looking for a good time under the
sky.   I spoke with many folks as they were turning in the sheets to Jack
and they all thanked Sac for a great event. Glad we could oblige, I just
wish AJ was there to enjoy it as well. It just wasn't the same without him.
I hope I did a credible job subbing for the pre-event briefing:)

Off to sleep with me.

Rick Tejera
President
Editor SACnews