[AZ-Observing] Re: Marathon: Early Report

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:10:35 -0700

It was a good night with great people, lots of friendly conversation and a
chance to see an old acquaintance or two. As for the sky, it was definitely
a night where a GoTo scope could shine. My practice earlier in the week was
mostly getting good alignment pairs (and alternates), then aligning the
scope as tightly as possible. This paid off more than I imagined, as it
allowed me to "camp" on an object until (IF) it popped through the clouds.
M72 had the highest price as I had to stand at the eye piece off and on for
45 minutes just to get a few seconds of good viewing. M30 had the second
highest price with about 15 minutes. What amazed me most was being at a
"dark site", but having to stand at the eyepiece with my viewing hood on to
block out the light bouncing off the clouds from Phoenix and Tucson.  My
final count was also 107 but, I can see where a 108 was completely do-able.
especially if one of the big Dob's was able to pick off M110 through the gap
under the clouds just before sunrise. The ones that got away, M74, M110,
M33.

Can't wait until next year....
Then again, Don Mac hholz was pointing out that the Marathon is also
"Do-able" in (I think he said) June. I pointed out to him that at that time
of year the spot where he was sitting would be over 100 degrees at midnight.
Anyone for the "Death Valley" marathon? I think can guarantee your eyelids
won't stick to your eyepiece (at least from the cold)

Jimmy Ray