[AZ-Observing] Re: Jupiter's Moons and Shadows - Wednesday

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:39:36 -0400

Nope, two moons and two shadows.  Here's an image when Jupiter was only 20
degrees above my southeastern horizon.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/116565698

Left to right; Ganymede's shadow, Europa's shadow, Ganymede at dead center
(which appears dark in contrast with the region between the equatorial belts).
Now look at 1 o'clock from Ganymede; almost touching it is the Europa, at the
same latitude as its shadow.

Tom