[AZ-Observing] Re: Juno Launch from New Mexico

  • From: <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 07:37:27 -0700

I enjoyed a beautiful view of the launch this morning. I was too busy running a
couple cameras and a sketch pad to note the exact time but it seems to have
launched about 10 minutes into the window around 6:40 AM. It gained a lot more
altitude than I expected. The initial vertical boost contrail picked up a nice
zig-zag pretty quickly. The trail disappeared for what seemed like about a
minute and I wondered if the show was over. But a brilliant arc reappeared much
higher in the sky with the apex of the plume beginning to blossom as the
missile rose above the thickest layers of atmosphere.

The remaining trajectory downrange was lost to twilight. If this had happened
perhaps a half hour earlier, the larger, fainter plume may have added to the
show. The brighter arc of exhaust was still a stunning sight as it twisted up
amidst a colorful twilight and blazing orange cirrus. I'm planning to get the
video and a few photos posted later today. I hope others had a chance to see it.

Jeremy Perez
Flagstaff
www.beltofvenus.net