[AZ-Observing] Re: How many clear nights?

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:52:02 -0700

Well it's been clear ever since I threw my temper tantrum the day before
third quarter June, so I'll say that's got to be good for at least a month
(since I've been saving it up for so long. Thank you God.). I guess July 1,
the day before third quarter July.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Co-coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     With consecutive clear night number 14 underway in Flagstaff,
and several more doubtless still to come, I'm wondering if folks want
to have a casual bet on when the last clear night will be.  Based simply
on the current 7-day forecast, it appears to be at least a week away.
Typically it takes a few days for the monsoon to arrive once the winds
to the south and east of Arizona switch to a favorable direction, so there
will likely be a couple days warning before the final clear night arrives.
     For what it's worth, the Flagstaff record for consecutive clear
nights since 1978 is sixteen, which occurred in October 1999.  There were
a few other similar events in the last 24 years.  We'll match the 16-night
record after Wednesday night (June 19th local date), so I don't see any
problem setting a new record.
     I'll go out on a limb and fearlessly "predict" that the last of the
consecutive clear nights won't happen until 30 June.  Anybody else want
to guess?  (Tea leaves?  I-ching?  Cards/dice?  Neural network models?)

\Brian

messages.  Thanks.