[AZ-Observing] Re: FWHM measurements for Phoenix skies, anyone?

  • From: "Matt" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 05:25:16 -0700

Tom, Brian,

Thanks for the input.  I have read much regarding image scale and FWHM
measurements lately.  I have discovered an interesting trend:  Most experts
recommend calibrating the scope/camera system to deliver 1.5 to 2.5
arcsec/pixel BUT all of the best images out there seem to be taken at sub-1
arcsec, at least at longer (2000+mm) focal length.  I am referring to
narrow-field work of mostly planetaries and galaxies.

That is, while theory suggests that a long FL scope be mated to a large, 13+
micron pixel size camera, no one actually does this.  So all of the "hot"
astrophotographers oversample, often hitting the 0.5 arcsec/pixel range.
With today's small pixel cameras, this is actually easier to accomplish.

I am intrigued by the narrowband approach, which largely bypasses the
effects of LP, but I have not seen much of this done on galaxies.  Hmm . . .

Matt