[AZ-Observing] Re: FWHM measurements for Phoenix skies, anyone?

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 21:59:13 -0700 (MST)

     It _does_ get good, however.  Way-back-when (woulda been late-80s),
I did a quick test of a Schwaar 10-inch Newtonian before it was shipped
to Canadian double-star observer Paul Brown.  It was some evening
when a bunch of folks met at Steve Coe's then-residence.  The test
star was 72 Peg.  After an hour's cool-down (the tube assembly had
been in Pierre's van all day), the 0".5 pair was nicely resolved
from Steve's front lawn.

      That said, for _some_ applications one tends to want to try
to get ~2 pixels per full-width half-maximum image blob on a CCD.
HOwever, for the types of imaging Matt seems to be suggesting he
wants to try, he probably doesn't need that large an image scale.
Presuably Jon Christensen can weigh in here with what his image scale
is for all those marvie calendar shots he takes.  Similarly, I think
Tom Polakis can report on actual "delivered image quality" with
the set-up had some years ago in Tempe.

\Brian