[AZ-Observing] Re: FWHM measurements for Phoenix skies, anyone?

  • From: "Matt" <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 21:17:16 -0700

AJ,

It seems from my research that, for imaging, anything sub 2 arcsec (as
measured during critical automated focusing, I think) is considered very
good to excellent.  I wonder how often we get that here with our low
humidity.  BUT, turbulence from the giant urban heat island we live in may
offset our "Arizona Skies."

I am planning on doing some patio imaging.  It can be done RGB with an LP
filter or by going narrowband (O3, Ha, S2).  My choice of scope and camera
may be influenced by the typical local seeing, but  I just don't know enough
yet to make an educated decision.  The monetary investment is substantial,
so I am trying to figure out as much as possible in advance.

Matt