[AZ-Observing] Re: Encke minima/gap, was Re: Observing the weekend of Jan 2-5, 2003

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:43:03 -0700

The Encke what? The Encke minimum or the Encke Gap? Many mistake the two
and think they have seen the gap when in fact they haven't, just the
contrast effect in the A ring or a transitory seeing effect at the outer
edge. A minimum 2-3" is needed to see the Cassini so I don't think a 3"
will ever see the Encke Gap no matter how steady the seeing. You need a
6" at the very least to even hope, assuming every thing else is perfect,
including the scope. The gap also varies in width so there's another
variable. The rings are wide open, so now's the time to do it.

Jack

> I have seen the Encke minima twice in my Synta 120 mm
> f8.3 refractor. The first time was about a year ago from
cut>