[AZ-Observing] Re: Encke minima/gap, was Re: Observing the weekend of Jan 2-5, 2003

  • From: "Kerry Weatherford" <ancient_light@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:18:31 -0800

Jack,

Good point - when I responded to this thread yesterday I was questioning which
feature was being addressed, as I saw both Minima & Gap in the postings.

As I stated before, I've seen the Minima in my 92mm Stowaway at 300x, and even
then it wasn't really a steady hold.  If seeing would have been better it
might have been held at all times.

So I agree with Jack that there's no way to see the Gap with a scope that
small.  Frank K., maybe you could :-), but my eyes aren't as good as yours!
I'm going to try this week to observe the Gap with my 14.5" SM, as I've never
been able to glimpse it in that scope yet.  Conditions are not usually good
enough when I get out, but hopefully I'll come away successful this time.

Happy New Year to everyone!

-Kerry Weatherford