[AZ-Observing] Re: Deep Impact Star Party

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:04:24 -0800

Yes, it really was a perfect night. One of the best I have seen in a
long time. Cool, no wind, and the skies seemed darker than usual. It was
really beautiful.

My observations are the same as everyone else's. The nucleus became more
easily seen 30 minutes after the impact as a faint star. Also, It
appeared there was some brightness flickerings between 52 minutes and 53
minutes. This was undoubtedly caused by some physiological eye effects
(possibly caused by photons from a faint nucleus randomly stimulating a
sensitive rod)  since on one else saw this, and since it may have been
impossible to see the immediate effects of the impact as Brian points out.
Stan