[AZ-Observing] Deep Impact observation near Salome, Az

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 02:58:18 -0700

Howdy all;

Myself, David Fredericksen and Rich Walker went to the Eagle Eye Road =
site
about 80 miles from Phoenix.  I rated the seeing at 6/10 and the
transparency at 7/10, a good night on the Arizona desert.

I set up my 4 inch f/6 RFT refractor for some viewing along the Milky =
Was as
we waited for Deep Impact on Comet Tempel 9/P.  Rich Walker had his 13 =
inch
f/5 Newtonian and David had his Nexstar 11 SCT.  We easily found the =
comet
near Spica, I even could pick it out with averted vision in the little
scope.

As the impact time arrived, the comet was closer to the horizon and I =
gave
up using the 4 incher and mooched some observations with the larger =
scopes.
The view was essentially the same in both instruments, maybe a little =
better
in Rich's 13 incher at 185X.

What we saw was the core of the comet brighten up by about 2 magnitudes =
in a
15 minute period of time and then stay that bright as it set over the
horizon.  Obviously, as it got within 15 degrees of the horizon or so, =
it
was pretty difficult to see any changes.

It was interesting and I am glad that we went out to see it, certainly a
once in a lifetime event.  It was one of those observing events where =
the
actual view was kind of "ho hum", but realizing what we were seeing was
quite fascinating.

A fun evening;
Steve Coe