[AZ-Observing] Deep Impact: Comet Tempel from Flagstaff

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 02:52:08 EDT

Just wanted to put out a quick note on my observation of comet 9P/Tempel
tonight. I started observing at 10:30p MST (05:30 UT), making a sketch of the
comet as viewed in my 18-inch Obsesion at 122X. Tempel was quite faint from my
backyard and showed no obvious core. Here, are my notes on the comet's
changing  appearance during a 30-minute window following impact.

05:57 UT: Suspected an intermittent stellaring in the coma
06:07 UT:  Stellaring consistently visible with direct vision.
06:12 UT: Inner coma  seemed noticeably brighter--not significantly, just
perceptible.
06:21 UT:  Stellaring within coma more intermittant, now.

The comet soon move behind a tree and I came inside to make this report.
Now, back to the scope.

Bill in Flagstaff