[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet McNaught in the evening

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:25:41 -0700

At 1805 comet was at 259 degrees magnetic from my location at 12 Deg
elevation above the horizon. I happened to be watching a couple of "B-1"
looking aircraft flying some box type formations just north of Luke AFB when
one passed in front of the comet. Through 10x50 Bino's I could make out a
bright coma with a fairly long dust tail and what may have been a short but
distinct ion tail. It set very rapidly as it came closer to the horizon.

Jimmy Ray