[AZ-Observing] Re: Because I have nothing better to do at 3 in the morning

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:41:11 -0700

Matt, I haven't done a survey but do have some observations from my backyard
in northwest Phoenix.  From a long time ago it was possible to see the Milky
Way in Cygnus if you sat down for several minutes to avoid the street light
two blocks away and get better dark adapted.  I haven't tried the dark
adaption technique lately but the sky does seem brighter.

A long time ago the only stars visible in the Little Dipper were Polaris and
Kochab and is still true today.  That put's the limit for this area of sky at
about 2.0 - and this is the darkest part of the sky.

All of these observations were done between evening twilight and midnight.

As far as doing a survey for Phoenix . . . the results can vary from hardly
nothing to considerable depending on locations.

Clear skies,
aj