[AZ-Observing] Re: Because I have nothing better to do at 3 in the morning

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 06:45:57

At 03:12 AM 9/22/2003 -0700, Matt L. wrote:

>I always thought that Phoenix skies were mag 3 at best. Has anyone
>actually done a survey on the limiting mag here in town?

I have never done a survey, but I can say that all of the stars of the
Little Dipper are visible from my place a mile south of ASU.  The two
Handle stars beside Polaris are mag. 4.3 and 4.2.  By far, the most
difficult is Eta UMi, at 5.0, but it's always there.  This is not to say my
sky is good.  When it's overhead, the star cloud in Cygnus between Sadr and
Albireo is only faintly visible.

>My experience tonight, and thinking how the light dome at Flatiron seems
to recede as it gets late, leads me to believe that Phoenix skies can get
better late at night.

It certainly gets better after midnight.  At the very least, many athletic
feild and billboard lights go off.  A small number of people even turn off
their porch lights.

Tom