[AZ-Observing] Re: Astronomical Insects

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:25:54 -0700

Something you can do to PREVENT the critters from hitching a ride on you in
the first place is using powdered sulfur (called "flowers of sulfur") in
your socks and/or shorts. Be sure to reserve that pair for sulfur for once
you use it (and store them in a plastic zip-loc bag in the garage), the odor
will never leave the socks (or shorts), and you'll smell like a kitchen
match, but who cares? It's dark and the critters really hate the sulfur so
they don't try crawling up your legs (past your socks) or burrowing into the
tight confines of the waist of your shorts.

When I lived in Missouri, I'd go fishing a lot at farm ponds, which were
always surrounded by tall grass, chigger "heaven". I was told of this tip by
a friend and started using it and went from being a chigger smorgasbord to
being bite-free even after spending a whole day at a pond.

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory