[AZ-Observing] Astronomical Insects

  • From: "Paul Lind" <pulind@xxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:17:56 -0700

I am convinced that all Arizona high-country observing sites are infested with
blood-thirsty venomous insects.  On the weekend of May 15 three of us observed
at a site north of Globe.  We were all eaten alive by what seemed to be
chiggers.  (The sire is not far from Aztec mountain, which was described by
Stan G recently.)  Having learned from that experience I used some 40% Deet
spray upon arriving at Fredrickson Meadow this past weekend.  I still received
four good sized bites, one of which was apparently from a spider.  It's caused
a swollen welt on my forearm that's 3 inches across.  A beekeeper's suit would
probably have worked but it would be pretty awkward at the eyepiece!
-Paul Lind