[AZ-Observing] Re: Anybody See Saturn Occultation?

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <FJKraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:54:56 -0700

I also attempted to observe the occultation, but failed to distinguish any
10th magnitude star near the planet with the exception of Thethys and Dione
as Tom mentioned.  Seeing hovered about 225x, and occasionally sharp at 404x
for only brief seconds.  The times I observed were at 4:40, and sporadically
between 5:00 and 6:00am.  In between one observing run, I searched the web
for any information regarding the occultation and found nothing, not even at
the ALPO website where one would expect to have details posted.  Because
this is a 10th mag. star, it is perhaps similarly comparable to finding
Phobos near Mars, which is difficult to detect close to the planet's limb.
At least I got out of bed to look through the telescope... always worth the
wake-up call.

-FRANK