[AZ-Observing] Re: Antennas site over the weekend - and Saddle Mtn too, sort-of

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:20:38 -0400

---- Matt <mluttinen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There was a discussion of the merits of the site itself...   Also there was
> comment about the
> distance from the freeway - closer would be better. So the site is not bad,
> but definitely not perfect.

Despite the occasional headlights,  I was impressed with the quality of the
Saddle Mountain site this past Saturday.  I would disagree with "closer [to the
freeway] is better."  We tried to find something close to the freeway earlier
this year, and the headlights on I-10 were bothersome at quite a distance, and
nearly impossible to block.  The "potential site" that I referred to in this
posting to SAC-Forum did not work out, either.

//www.freelists.org/archives/sac-forum/01-2007/msg00098.html

Proximity to the freeway invariably brings local lights into the scene.  The
welcome feature of Saddle Mountain is that there are zero local lights around
the horizon.  I created this overview from Google Earth before anybody went to
Saddle Mountain.  It is located due south of the "Tom & Jenn site" and due west
of Palo Verde.

http://members.cox.net/tpolakis/astro/sites1.jpg

If somebody can find a site with the attributes of Saddle Mountain closer to
the freeway, we should pursue it.

Tom